Friday, September 19, 2014

The Art of Inspiration

I want to say a big thank you to everyone that kept us in your thoughts and prayers this week. I'm very happy to say that at Jon's doctor appointment this morning we got good news!


Jon put on The Lego Movie when we got home...a perfect way to decompress from a stressful week. Last night as I was driving home from my class, the "everything is awesome" song was stuck in my head. (I'm sure those of you with kids are very familiar with this song!) It ran over and over and over, until I finally realized....yes!...today, everything is awesome! And I thank God for that.


Another awesome bit of news is that I've finally started my journey of graduate school and I love it! It makes me feel worthy again, and we should all feel that way, because we all have so much to give. With getting my MFA, I am really focused on the path of teaching. I feel like I've resisted it for so many years, but have come to understand it is my true calling. Jon and I have started coming up with new and unique classes I can teach in film. One being a course on Southern cinema and another just focused on teens in film, studying The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink (how fun!). After I came home and reported back to him on every last detail of my class and what it feels like to be a student now in 2014 as opposed to 2005, we came up with a new course, (he gets sole credit for the name), The Art of Inspiration.


In our culture we are taught how to be negative, to critique and judge, and it seems as if it has gotten worse in the past decade since I started my undergrad. I think, what we need to teach students is how to like, no LOVE, something...whether it be a film, song, book or painting...we need more passion as opposed to indifference. Reality shows and competitions are too celebrated in our society. Like Billy Bob Thornton ingeniously said (and I'm paraphrasing), "We can have a show about cupcakes. Fine. But does it have to be competition? A cupcake WAR? Because making a cupcake is not all that dangerous!" It's so true! Therefore, Jon and I are committed to our inspiration class where we require students to become inspired by all that is around them and let them know, "hey, it's OK to like something every once in a while." And I've been feeling so down lately, I thought to myself, why wait until I can teach the class? How about I start right now. Because inspiration is around us at all times. No matter who you are or what you do to fill your days. Let yourself be inspired!


I'll close with the inspiring words from one of my favorite poets.


Daffodils by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud 
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Have a great weekend!
With love,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment